Domestic Violence

Self Help Legal Information

Other Families Problems

If you are in danger, please use a safer computer, or call 911, Alabama's Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-650-6522, or the U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224. See more technology safety tips here. There is always a computer trail, but you can leave this website quickly by clicking on HIDE YOUR VISIT on the right side of any page.

21 Resource(s) Found
Filter By:

Breaking Free From Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is any felony, battery, assault, criminal damage to property, unlawful restraint, or criminal trespass between past and present spouses, parents of the same child, parents and children, stepparents and stepchildren, foster parents and foster children, or other persons living or formerly living in the same household. If you think you may be a domestic violence victim, this information advises how to protect yourself, and get medical care, financial assistance, counseling and more.

Divorce and Domestic Violence in Alabama: Answers to Some Common Questions

This article gives answers to some of the questions many divorce clients ask. It gives information about where and when to file divorce and about Protection Orders and Restraining Orders.

Ex Parte Protection Orders

What is an ex parte protection order? What does it do? What does it NOT do? What do you do if your abuser violates it? These questions and more are answered in this document.

I Have an Ex Parte Protection Order: How Do I Get Custody of My Children?

When can I get custody of my children? My husband says he will get custody. Will he? What can I do to make it more likely I'll get custody? Answers to these questions and much more here.

Moving When You Have a Custody Order

As of September 1, 2003, when a Court in Alabama gives joint physical custody or gives one parent custody and the other visitation, the Court's order will tell each parent what they have to do if they want to move. The first step for a parent is sending a notice to the other parent by certified mail. Can your ex stop you from moving? What happens if your ex files papers? What do you need to show in Court? This document answers these questions and more.

You Have an Ex Parte Protection Order, But He's Still in the Home

I have an ex parte protection order -- does my abuser have to move out or stay away from our home? Can I stay in the house with my abuser while waiting for the hearing? If I need to go into shelter, how do I get there? Read this for answers to these questions and more.

Basic Questions & Answers for Non-Citizen Survivors of Domestic Violence: VAWA

What is VAWA? What does USC mean? What does LPR mean? What is a derivative? What do "inadmissibility grounds" mean? If I am a victim of abuse, are there protections available for me under VAWA? Can men qualify for VAWA? Read this information for answers to these questions and more information.

Internet and Computer Safety

If you think your activities are being monitored, they probably are. If you are in danger, please read and follow this advice on using the Internet, Email & Instant Messaging, and Computers.

Public Benefits for Battered Immigrant Women and Children

Who are qualified immigrants? What benefits can qualified immigrants get? How do battered immigrants become qualified immigrants? What benefits are available to all immigrants? Read this information for answers to these questions and more. (You must have a PDF reader on your computer to open this document. To get Adobe’s PDF Reader, click on the Get Adobe Reader icon to download.)

Questions and Answers: Battered Spouses, Children and Parents Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

What if my Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, widow(er), or special immigrant, is denied? Can a man file a petition for himself under the Violence Against Women Act? Do I have to remain married to my abusive spouse until my Form I-360 is approved? Can a divorced spouse seek relief by filing a Form I-360? What if my abusive U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident spouse or parent (or U.S. Citizen son or daughter) filed a Form I-360, Petition for Alien Relative, on my behalf, which is still pending or was withdrawn? Read this page for answers to these questions and more information.

You Have a Right to Be Free From Violence in Your Own Home

What is "domestic violence"? What can I do? Should I leave my home if I am in danger? Can I get protection even if I am not a U.S. citizen? How can I get lawful permanent residency without my husband's help? Read this information for answers to these questions and much more. Also in Spanish/Español

A Hotline for Domestic Violence Victims - 1-800-799-7233

Call this number for help, or go to the website to learn more about help for domestic violence victims. Every call is answered in both English and Spanish, and hotline advocates and volunteers have access to translators in 170 languages.

Domestic Violence Telephone Numbers and Links

Telephone numbers to call and websites to check if you are in danger from domestic violence.

Get Help

Information you can use to find help, including telephone numbers and websites, including "What You Can Do."

Information on: How to get a restraining order in Alabama, court forms, court, shelter and sheriff department locations and links to other Alabama online resources.

Legal Actions to Get Protection From Abuse

You have two choices if you want to take legal action: civil or criminal. You may use one or both at the same time. This document talks about each one.

The Protection Hearing

What time should I be in Court? How should I dress? Should I bring the children? Will I see my abuser? Will I have to testify? Answers to these questions and more are in this document.

What is the Alabama Protection From Abuse Act? How Does It Work?

This document explains how Alabama's Protection From Abuse Act (PFA) works and how you can use it to get protection from your abuser.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Information about Domestic Violence

Recognizing the Warning Signs of Domestic Violence and Abuse

Do you think you have a family member or friend who is a victim of domestic violence? Keep in mind that expressing your concern will let the person know that you care, and may even save his or her life. Read this information for general warning signs of domestic abuse and physical violence.

Petition For Protection From Abuse

You can use this form to petition an Alabama court for Protection From Abuse. Please read the information at Legal Actions to Get Protection From Abuse (linked on this page) before filling out this form. (You must have a PDF reader on your computer to open this document. To get Adobe’s PDF Reader, click on the Get Adobe Reader icon to download.)

Back to top