Domestic Violence

Self Help Legal Information

Other Families Problems

If you are in danger, please use a safer computer, or call 911, Alabama's Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-650-6522, or the U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224. See more technology safety tips here. There is always a computer trail, but you can leave this website quickly by clicking on HIDE YOUR VISIT on the right side of any page.

10 Resource(s) Found

A Hotline for Domestic Violence Victims - 1-800-799-7233

Call this number for help, or go to the website to learn more about help for domestic violence victims. Every call is answered in both English and Spanish, and hotline advocates and volunteers have access to translators in 170 languages.

Get Help

Information you can use to find help, including telephone numbers and websites, including "What You Can Do."

Information on: How to get a restraining order in Alabama, court forms, court, shelter and sheriff department locations and links to other Alabama online resources.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Information about Domestic Violence

Recognizing the Warning Signs of Domestic Violence and Abuse

Do you think you have a family member or friend who is a victim of domestic violence? Keep in mind that expressing your concern will let the person know that you care, and may even save his or her life. Read this information for general warning signs of domestic abuse and physical violence.

Basic Questions & Answers for Non-Citizen Survivors of Domestic Violence: VAWA

What is VAWA? What does USC mean? What does LPR mean? What is a derivative? What do "inadmissibility grounds" mean? If I am a victim of abuse, are there protections available for me under VAWA? Can men qualify for VAWA? Read this information for answers to these questions and more information.

Internet and Computer Safety

If you think your activities are being monitored, they probably are. If you are in danger, please read and follow this advice on using the Internet, Email & Instant Messaging, and Computers.

Questions and Answers: Battered Spouses, Children and Parents Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

What if my Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, widow(er), or special immigrant, is denied? Can a man file a petition for himself under the Violence Against Women Act? Do I have to remain married to my abusive spouse until my Form I-360 is approved? Can a divorced spouse seek relief by filing a Form I-360? What if my abusive U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident spouse or parent (or U.S. Citizen son or daughter) filed a Form I-360, Petition for Alien Relative, on my behalf, which is still pending or was withdrawn? Read this page for answers to these questions and more information.

Breaking Free From Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is any felony, battery, assault, criminal damage to property, unlawful restraint, or criminal trespass between past and present spouses, parents of the same child, parents and children, stepparents and stepchildren, foster parents and foster children, or other persons living or formerly living in the same household. If you think you may be a domestic violence victim, this information advises how to protect yourself, and get medical care, financial assistance, counseling and more.

Divorce and Domestic Violence in Alabama: Answers to Some Common Questions

This article gives answers to some of the questions many divorce clients ask. It gives information about where and when to file divorce and about Protection Orders and Restraining Orders.

Back to top