ASB Lawyer Referral Service: 1-800-392-5660
Authored By: Alabama State Bar
How do I get a referred to a lawyer to help with my legal problem? What will it cost? What do I need to bring to my appointment?
Important things to know:
Lawyer Referral is NOT free Legal Services.
- Lawyer Referral is a service of the Alabama State Bar which helps members of the public who can afford to pay a lawyer find an attorney to help with their legal problems.
- The Toll-Free number operates Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 11:30am and from 1:30pm to 4:30pm. Website referrals are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Lawyer Referral service cannot provide referrals through Email.
- All lawyers you will be referred to are licensed in Alabama and are members in good standing of the Alabama State Bar.
- The Lawyer Referral service does not have attorneys who handle all types of legal problems in all areas of the state. The service does not provide lists of attorneys.
- The referral attorney agrees to charge no more than $50.00 for the first 30-minute meeting.
- If your problem requires work beyond this time, and you decide to hire the lawyer, be sure to ask about any additional fees.
- An attorney bases his/her fee on the time and type of work involved, the difficulty in solving the problem and your needs as the client.
- The Lawyer Referral Service encourages you to ask for a written fee agreement before the lawyer does any legal work beyond the first 30-minute meeting.
- Some attorneys who participate in the Lawyer Referral Service offer a 25% discount to members of the U.S. Armed Forces. If you are a U.S. Armed Forces member, please call 800-392-5660 for a referral - the online Lawyer Referral Service does not indicate which lawyers offer this discount.
What do I need for my appointment?
- You must call. When you receive a referral, it is your responsibility to contact the lawyer to make an appointment to discuss your legal problem. The Lawyer Referral service cannot make appointments for callers. Be sure to tell the lawyer that the Alabama State Bar Lawyer Referral has referred you.
- Be prepared. When you call the lawyer for an appointment, ask what documents you should bring to the first 30-minute meeting. Be ready to give the lawyer all background information relating to the situation. You may want to prepare a list of questions to ask the lawyer.
- Be efficient. If you do hire a lawyer, don't make unnecessary phone calls to the lawyer. Most lawyers charge for time spent on the phone with a client. Keep a list of all items you want to discuss with your lawyer and be prepared to cover them in one phone call, or ask them at your next meeting.
- Keep records. File all material you receive from your lawyer in one place. Your file is often the best way to find answers to questions about your case.
Referrals for matters outside Alabama
The ASB Lawyer Referral Service cannot help you to find a lawyer for a legal matter outside the State of Alabama. If you need a lawyer outside Alabama, please consult the American Bar Association Lawyer Referral Directory.
Request a referral online
To read more detailed information about the Lawyer Referral service and request a referral to an Alabama lawyer online, please visit the link Need Legal Help? on the ASB website. You will need to scroll down for the Lawyer Referral information and link to the online referral form.
Reviewed May 2015
AlabamaLegalHelp.org offers legal information, not legal advice. We try hard to make sure this website accurately explains your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For this sort of legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call Toll-Free 1-866-456-4995. You can also Apply Online.