Domestic Violence & Divorce

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


How can I file to get a protection order?

  • You can fill out a form Petition for Protection from Abuse.

Where can I get the form?

How much do I have to pay to file?

  • Nothing. There is NO filing fee to file for a protection order in an Alabama court or to subpoena witnesses.

What if I am not an Alabama resident?

  • You do not have to be an Alabama resident to file for a protection order in an Alabama court.

What if I already have a protection order from another state?

  • It is good in Alabama. If you have a copy of it, Alabama police and sheriff officers should enforce it just as if it were issued by an Alabama judge.
  • You do NOT have to register your protection order with a Circuit Court Clerk to make it valid.

What if I want to register the protection order?

  • You can file it without paying any charge or fee.
  • Click here for a form affidavit you can use to register a foreign protection order in Alabama.
  • A form affidavit that you can use to register a foreign protection order in Alabama is available from your local Legal Services Alabama office.

What if I don't have a copy of the protection order?

  • You can call the court where it was issued and ask for a copy.

How can I get child support that has already been ordered?

  • You can have the child support sent to you by calling your child support enforcement agency.
  • If the order is from Alabama, you can call Toll-Free 1-800-284-4347.

Reviewed May 2014 offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: May 14, 2014
Back to top