Food Stamps/SNAP/D-SNAP

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


I lost my EBT card. How can I get a new one?

  • You can make a toll-free call.
  • The Alabama EBT number is 1-800-997-8888.

What if I lost food when my power was out because of the disaster?

  • The Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR) gives replacement food stamps in disasters.
  • Contact your local DHR office.
  • If you asked for replacement food stamps and were denied, you can appeal.
  • To appeal, write to the food stamp office where you applied.

Can I get disaster food stamps?

  • Visit the Alabama Department of Human Resources website at and view the "News" items on the left side of the page to read which disaster-designated counties are eligible for the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP).
  • D-SNAP is designed to provide disaster food benefits to people who might not ordinarily qualify for the Food Assistance Program.
  • If you applied and got denied, you can appeal. To appeal, write to the food stamp office where you applied.
  • You have to show that the disaster damaged your home or you had other losses from the disaster.

What must I do to qualify for the benefits?

  • You must apply in person or have an authorized representative apply for you.
  • You must have disaster damage to your home, loss of food, expenses related to protecting your home, or lost income as a result of the disaster.
  • You must meet income limits composed of net household income plus available liquid resources (cash or money in the bank).
  • If you submit incorrect information to get benefits fraudulently, you will have to repay any benefits that you received and you may be disqualified from the food assistance program, fined, or imprisoned.

What is the difference between "expedited" food stamps and "emergency" food stamps?

  • Usually, "expedited" food stamps are regular food stamps that very needy people get a week after applying.
  • Disaster or "emergency" food stamps are short-term disaster benefits offered in select areas to people not eligible under normal rules. These food stamps go to people who need food assistance because they have lost income and other financial resources because of the disaster.
  • Not everyone with disaster related food losses can get disaster food stamps.
  • To get disaster food stamps (D-SNAP), you must meet federal eligibility requirements.
  • Emergency food stamp benefits can also give extra help to people who get regular food stamps.

How can I learn what the federal eligibility requirements are for D-SNAP?

You can review the current income eligibility guidelines for the D-SNAP program here.

Where can I get more information?

You can go to the USDA Food and Nutrition Service's Disaster Assistance website. offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Jul 28, 2023
Back to top