Foreclosures Suspended for Some Federally-Backed Mortgages
The Governor has halted enforcement of any order that would remove you from your home - which includes those with mortgages who have been foreclosed on. See the Order here.
HUD issued guidance on March 18, 2020, suspending foreclosures for SOME homeowners.
If you have a:
- Single family home; AND
- A mortgage insured by the FHA (Federal Housing Administration)- check your mortgage if unsure
Then, HUD has suspended for 60 days:
- New and ongoing foreclosure actions
- Removal from home. In Alabama, this is called an "ejectment." (The guidance refers to this as an "eviction," which in Alabama we mostly use for landlord/tenant situations.)
If this protection is expanded, this information will be updated.
Information for Other Types of Federal Mortgages
- FHA — https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/OCHCO/documents/20-04hsgml.pdf
- VA — https://www.benefits.va.gov/HOMELOANS/documents/circulars/26_20_8.pdf
- USDA Direct (bottom of page 1) — https://www.rd.usda.gov/sites/default/files/USDA_SA_COVID19_SFHContinuity03202020.pdf
- USDA Guaranteed — https://www.rd.usda.gov/sites/default/files/USDA_RD_SA_Foreclosure_and_Eviction_Relief_COVID19_NationalEmergency.pdf
- Fannie Mae — https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/22261/display
- Freddie Mac — https://guide.freddiemac.com/app/guide/bulletin/2020-4
How to Know What Type of Mortgage You Have
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have easy loan look-up websites to determine if they own a mortgage. See https://ww3.freddiemac.com/loanlookup/ and https://www.knowyouroptions.com/loanlookup#.
- To determine if a loan is FHA-insured, look for an FHA case number on the mortgage document, specific language in the mortgage and note forms, or through the payment of an FHA premium on the mortgage statement. In some cases, unfortunately, loans may have been stripped of their FHA-insured status; call HUD’s National Servicing Center at 877-622-8525 if there are questions.
- A VA-guaranteed loan also has specific language in the note and mortgage identifying it as a VA loan, and there are fees paid to the VA noted in closing documents.
- While a borrower with a mortgage directly extended by the RHS will be very familiar with the agency, homeowners with privately serviced RHS-guaranteed loans often do not know the loan’s status. If an RHS-guaranteed loan is suspected, directly ask the servicer to review the homeowners’ closing documents.
If you are facing foreclosure, you can call Legal Services Alabama at 1-866-456-4995 for legal help or apply online HERE.