Free or Low-Cost Health Insurance for Pregnant Women and for Children
Authored By: Legal Services Alabama
Who can get Medicaid under SOBRA?
- If their incomes are at or below 146% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Children under age 19
- If their family's income is at or below 146% of the Federal Poverty Level.
If my income is too high for Medicaid, can my child get low-cost health insurance?
- Yes. Your child can get health insurance under the ALLKids Program if your income is less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.
If your household income falls between 150% and 300% of the Federal Poverty Level, you can buy your children health insurance under the ALLKids Program for a small fee.
- Your annual premium could be as low as $50 or as high as $100. It depends on your income and how many children you have.
- You may also have a co-pay. The highest co-pay is $15.00 for emergency rooms. There are no co-pays for check-ups and other preventative services.
- In September 2003 and again several months later, the Health Department put a freeze on the ALLKids program. Right now, there is no freeze. If you apply now, your children should be able to get on right away.
Where do I apply for this free or low-cost health insurance?
- You can apply online at www.insurealabama.org
- You can apply at your County Health Department.
- SOBRA case workers are at some hospitals, some federally qualified health care centers, and the regional Medicaid Offices also take applications for Medicaid.
- Medicaid has Customer Service Centers in Birmingham, Mobile, and Montgomery for individuals to apply online.
Reviewed May 2014
AlabamaLegalHelp.org offers legal information, not legal advice. We try hard to make sure this website accurately explains your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For this sort of legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call Toll-Free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online at intake.alsp.org.