Get Your Vehicle History From the State of Alabama

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


Need to know the title history for your car? Follow these steps to get the report from the State of Alabama.

You can ask the State of Alabama to send you a complete title history on a car, truck or van.

You will need to fill out the form Request for Motor Vehicle Records.

You must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for your vehicle to put on the form. The VIN is 17 digits including letters and numbers. On most vehicles, this number is on top of the front dashboard, close to the windshield. You will be able to read it through the windshield on the driver's side.

On the form, you must list a reason you want this information. There is a list on the back of the form:

  • If you own the car, enter A to ask for its vehicle history.
  • If a company owns the car, enter B to ask for the vehicle history.
  • If a person owns the car, enter C to get the history. You will need a signed release from the person who owns the car.

Check the block to request "The complete title history (available for the previous 10 years) of the vehicle above".

This will cost $15.00 - you must send a money order with your request.

Mail your completed form and money order to:

Alabama Department of Revenue
Motor Vehicle Division
P.O. Box 327680
Montgomery, Alabama 36132-7680

Reviewed July 2014 offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Jul 31, 2014
Back to top