Have You Recently Moved? Be Sure You Get Your Tax Refunds, EITC Checks or Stimulus Payments

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


Have you recently moved? Make sure you keep getting your important mail!

You MUST tell the Post Office and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you have a change of address. If you do not tell them, you may not get important mail like a tax refund, an Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) check, or the federal government's Economic Stimulus Payment, also called the "Tax Rebate".

If you live in Alabama, tell the Post Office about your address change if you have moved. You do this by filling out a change of address form. Get this form from your local Post Office.

To tell the IRS of an address change, complete IRS Form No. 8822. It is on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf.

Mail your completed form to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX  73301-0023

Reviewed June 2012

AlabamaLegalHelp.org offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Jul 30, 2012
Back to top