Help to Pay for Child Care

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


Can I get help to pay for child care? Where can I get this help? What kinds of child care can I use? Read this for answers to these questions.

Can I get help to pay for child care?

  • Your income must be low enough. See the chart below.
  • You need to have at least one child under 13, or have at least one special needs child under 18.
  • You must be taking part in work, education or training.
  • You will probably have to go on a waiting list first.

Where can I get help to pay for child care?

How much will the Department of Human Resources pay?

  • The Department will pay most of the cost.
  • You have to pay between $5.00 and $20.00 per week, depending on your income.

What kinds of child care can I use?

  • You can choose anyone from a list of licensed or certified child care centers.
  • You can choose any licensed or certified family child care home.
  • You can also get help to pay relatives who care for your children in their homes.

If your family size is

Your monthly income must be under









Reviewed October 2013 offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Oct 29, 2013
Back to top