Making a Repayment Agreement for Overpayment

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


You may have decided not to request reconsideration and not to ask for a waiver. You may have lost an appeal and decided not to appeal further. You may have lost all of your appeals. In all these cases, SSA will expect you to pay the overpayment back. If you do not, SSA will start taking your whole Social Security disability check or 10% of your SSI check.

Tell SSA you want to repay the money in small monthly payments you can afford. Usually you will have to pay back at least $10.00 a month. SSA will try to get you to agree to pay enough to pay the money back within 3 years. However, they cannot take more than 10% of your SSI check, even if it takes more than 3 years.

Reviewed February 2003 offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Feb 27, 2003
Back to top