Proving Your Identity

Authored By: Legal Services Alabama


I lost my driver's license and other photo ID. How can I prove who I am?

  • Many agencies will accept your word when you apply for disaster relief.
  • Others will help you get the proof you need.
  • You should also take steps to get a replacement driver's license.

How can I get a replacement driver's license or ID card in Alabama?

  • You can get a replacement Driver License (DL) or Identification Card (ID) by filling in the application form for Alabama.
  • You can pick up a form at any driver's license office.
  • The Alabama Department of Public Safety asks that you contact a Driver License Examining Office. Click here to find a local office.

How much do I have to pay for my replacement license or ID?

  • The fee is currently $23.50.

Where can I get more information about proving my identity?

  • Call your local DPS Driver License office. Click here to locate your local office.
  • Check the Alabama Department of Public Safety Driver License Division DPS Driver License FAQ.

What should I do if I lost my Social Security card?

  • You need to visit a Social Security office or complete Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card. The online information is available in English, Spanish and many additional languages.
  • Social Security will want evidence of your identity.
  • If you were born outside of the United States, you must show proof of your U.S. Citizenship or current lawful immigration status.

How can I provide "evidence of identity"?

You can show one of the following:

  • U.S. driver's license
  • U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or
  • U.S. Passport

If you do not have one of these documents and cannot get a replacement within 10 work days, Social Security may accept other documents that show your legal name and biographical information, such as:

  • a Military ID card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Employee identity card
  • Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor or hospital)
  • Health insurance card
  • Medicaid card
  • School identity card or record

For young children, Social Security may accept medical records maintained by a medical provider. Social Security may also accept a final adoption decree, or school identity card or other school record maintained by the school.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration document(s) and your foreign passport with biographical information or photograph.

How can I locate a Social Security office where I live?

Visit the Social Security Office Locator. offers legal information, not legal advice. This website provides information on your rights and options. However, the site does not apply the law to your personal facts. For legal advice, you should call a lawyer. To apply for free legal services in Alabama, call the Legal Services Alabama office that is closest to where you live OR call toll-free 1-866-456-4995. You can also apply online HERE.

Last Review and Update: Nov 20, 2019
Back to top