Questions and Answers: Battered Spouses, Children and Parents Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

Authored By: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

What if my Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, widow(er), or special immigrant, is denied? Can a man file a petition for himself under the Violence Against Women Act? Do I have to remain married to my abusive spouse until my Form I-360 is approved? Can a divorced spouse seek relief by filing a Form I-360? What if my abusive U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident spouse or parent (or U.S. Citizen son or daughter) filed a Form I-360, Petition for Alien Relative, on my behalf, which is still pending or was withdrawn? Read this page for answers to these questions and more information.

Last Review and Update: Jan 20, 2021
Back to top